Our ten inch drawstring bag kit is made with light blue cotton fabric with small blue and white branches and leaf pattern. Tactile guides are sewn on all perimeters of fabric to enable hand sewing by touch, and all fabric pieces are cut to size and pre-pinned so it is ready to hand sew without any prep work! Whether you want to give the kit as a gift to someone you know will enjoy this fun hand sewing activity, or you want to make the bag yourself, for yourself, or for someone else – we are sure that whoever receives this kit and bag will love both the activity and the end product.
To give you some ideas on what to put in the bag to top this off as a special gift, we have displayed some Scentsy Hand Soap and Hand Cream that fit perfectly in this tote. The Scentsy displayed hand soap and cream would make great accessory items to include in your hand made gift bag for that special, hard to buy for friend! Please note that the SCENTSY PRODUCTS ARE NOT INCLUDED WITH THE MITSY KIT BUT CAN BE PURCHASED SEPARATELY THROUGH LINKS INCLUDED BELOW TO OUR PARTNER NINI’S SITE. Nini is a visually impaired Scentsy business owner who also enjoys Mitsy Kit adaptive crafting. We are proud to be partnering with her to provide our customer’s access to the Scentsy products which complement our kits. See Nini’s story here: https://nini.scentsy.us/consultant/bio
Instructions on Kit Assembly:
*Use regular hand sewing needle (recommend Crewel size 3) and hand sewing thread to stitch together the cotton rectangular fabric – LEAVE PLASTIC CLIPS AND TAPE ON PROJECT UNTIL COMPLETED STITCHING:
- Insert thread into eye of needle – recommend double threading needle at about arm’s length and tie off with knot. *Tip, if you have trouble getting the thread through the eye of the needle we recommend the bow style needle threader. Instructions on how to thread using this tool is on YouTube @ Mitsy Kit Video Thread Needle With Bow Threader. We also provide accessory sewing tools with bow threader, crewel size 3 needle pack, tomato pin cushion, and thread if needed @ MitsyKit.org search under accessories for mini hand sewing tool kit.
- You will be hand stitching (using a running stitch) to join three sides of the bag kit together. DO NOT SEW WHERE THE PROJECT IS TAPED! This is the opening of the bag. Begin by inserting tip of the threaded needle through two layers of fabric in the top corner of long side under the tactile threaded border where the START HERE sticker is affixed, then begin the running stitch with small stitches, ¼” or less just under the tactile threaded border. Continue running stitch until you have completed stitching along all three un-taped sides of the bag kit. If you run out of thread before completing your stitching tie off your thread with knot, cut excess thread tail and rethread needle. *Tip, remove plastic clips before you reach them to prevent thread from getting tangled in clip – you can also go to YouTube audio/video instructions to learn how to do a running stitch @ Mitsy Kit Video Running Stitch Demonstration.
- Once completed running stitch on the three un-taped sides, run finger along sewn seams checking to make sure that all stitches are tight without any large gaps. If gaps are found, re-stitch over section to close gaps.
- Once confirmed there are no large gaps in stitching, remove tape from project and turn fabric right side out through top opening. Use pointer finger to push out fabric in 2 lower corners.
- The next step is to lace one of the ribbons provided with your kit through the channel at the front right of the bag using the safety pin or plastic needle. Begin by weaving the pin and ribbon through the right front channel opening a little at a time until the pin comes out the left front channel opening on the opposite end. Then loop around to insert the pin and ribbon through the left back channel opening weaving through until it comes out through the right back channel opening on the other side. Even out the ribbon tails (now both on the right side) and put tails through plastic needle to insert through hole in one of the beads provided, then tie a knot in the end of the ribbon tails to keep bead from sliding off.
- Next lace the second ribbon provided with your kit through the channel at the front left of the bag using the safety pin or plastic needle. Begin by weaving the pin and ribbon through the left front channel opening (over top of ribbon already laced through) a little at a time until the pin comes out the right front channel opening on the opposite side. Then loop around to insert the pin and ribbon through the right back channel opening weaving through until it comes out through the left back channel opening on the other side. Even out the ribbon tails (now both on the left side) and put tails through plastic needle to insert through hole in one of the beads provided, then tie a knot in the end of the ribbon tails to keep bead from sliding off.
- This completes your bag! To close the bag simply pull the left and right ribbon drawstrings away from each other to cinch up and close the bag. To open the bag, just pull the middle section open with fingers.
We hope you have enjoyed this craft. Feel free to call us at 978-419-1824 if you have any questions!
Links below to Optional Scentsy Product Accessories of Hand Soaps and Lotions: