Reduced price for pack of 10. The bow style needle threader is a great tool to help thread most hand and machine needles. This needle threader is larger than your average needle threader. The base is made out of aluminum in the shape of a large tear drop, and it has a larger than average wire diamond on the top. Some tips for those who are blind or visually impaired follow:
Tips to thread a hand sewing needle by touch with bow threader:
- Put the eye of your needle flat on the top of your index finger on non dominant hand (on finger print side).
- With your dominant hand, hold near the tip of the wire diamond on top of threader and attempt to poke the pointed tip of wire diamond through the eye of the needle so that it touches your index finger.
- Push the wire diamond through the eye of the needle and rest the needle on top of the aluminum threader base – keeping the wire diamond facing up so that the needle does not fall off.
- Place the tail of your thread through the center of the wire diamond. To help with this, you can first attach the thread tail through the center of a safety pin, or small hair clip and then pass the safety pin or hair clip through the wire diamond and once you pull the safety pin or hair clip with thread tail through you can pull the safety pin or hair clip off of the thread.
- Then you can pull the threader out of the needle until the thread falls off of the threader. Then you have threaded your needle, and if you only want a single threaded needle you can feel for the long end of the thread to tie a knot in, or for a double threaded needle you can pull the short thread tail and the thread attached to the spool until both are at the length desired and while holding the two pieces of thread together, cut beneath your hand, then tie a knot with the two tails.
Here is an audio / video demonstrating this threading technique for hand sewing needle and machine needle:
Here is a video playlist of tips for making hand sewing more accessible for the blind and visually impaired: