This No Sew Halloween Wall Hanging Or Table Runner Kit is 12 by 36 inches with BOO spelled out vertically in sticky back foam letters, and the option of Braille sticky back dots beside each letter. The wall hanging front-facing fabric has a navy blue sky background, orange pumpkins with yellow faces wearing black witch hats, black flying bats, and black spiders hanging off of thin white webs. The backing of the wall hanging is made with a thick black felt that comes attached to the cotton facing, and has three small black felt loops at the top to insert dowel for hanging (the dowel is also included with the kit).
This project can be customized to be as simple, or simple moderate complexity as described below. We are also exploring an advanced complexity option to add on a crochet border to the project and will be providing more details as we test this out in our pilot project!
To make the simple complexity project, simply decorate the pre-sewn wall hanging or table runner (can be used either way) by making and attaching four fuzzy black spiders and eight orange pom-poms to the cotton front. Instructions will be provided to make the spiders out of black pom poms and pipe cleaners which are also included with the kit. Then attach the eight orange pom-poms around the perimeter and, if using as a wall hanging, slide the dowel through the black felt loops at the top and tie the black ribbon tails on both ends of the dowel to hang. Or, if you are using it as a table runner, just tuck the black felt loops underneath the back and place the decorated table runner down the center of the table to display.
To make the simple moderate complexity project, before decorating the pre-sewn wall hanging or table runner with spiders and orange pom-poms, you can make this project more challenging by adding a yellow ribbon running stitch around all four perimeters of the project. To do this, you will lace the yellow ribbon through the eye of the plastic needle (all included with the kit) and mimic the running stitch by sliding the plastic needle and ribbon up and down through the serger stitches along the fabric edges. (A picture of a smaller wall hanging is included in photos as an example of the option with yellow ribbon border added.)
- Lace one of the long yellow ribbon strands into the eye of the plastic needle (all included with the kit). Then, starting in a corner of one of the long sides of the project, lace the plastic needle and ribbon underneath a few of the first serger stitches at the corner and pull the ribbon strand underneath these stitches until it is stopped by the attached safety pin. Next, you will use your fingertip as a measuring guide to make consistent running stitches along this long side. Do this by placing your index fingertip in front of where your ribbon last came up through the serger stitches, pull the ribbon over top of your fingertip and then slide underneath the next three serger stitches after your fingertip and pull through again. Repeat this process to make running stitches with the yellow ribbon all along one long side of the project until stopping at the next corner.
- Then, starting in the next corner of a short side of the project, lace the plastic needle with a short ribbon strand and slide underneath a few of the serger stitches at the corner, then pull the ribbon strand underneath these stitches until it is stopped by the attached safety pin. Repeat the process of making running stitches along this short side using your index fingertip as your measuring guide as did previously, until completed stitching to the next corner.
- Repeat step 1 to complete running stitches along the next long side of your project with a long yellow ribbon.
- Repeat step 2 to complete running stitches along the next short side of your project with a short yellow ribbon.
- Remove all safety pins from the ribbon tails and then tie knots and bows in each of the four corners with the two ribbon tails.
The cost for the 12 inch by 36 inch wall hanging or table runner kit will be $18.00 plus shipping, and tax will be charged if you live in Florida.