Protect your counter tops from hot pans with this 10×10 cotton hot pad kit – Kitchen Colander pattern with turquoise and red colanders, glass canning jars, wooden spoon with ribbon, recipe cards, and tomatoes on soft lime green.. This project is a sewing project that can be sewn by hand or with sewing machine. No tactile borders are needed on this project due to the faux binding serving as a tactile guide.
The kit comes pre-cut and pre-assembled ready for folding the faux binding and stitching together! Included with the kit is one ten inch cotton square with Kitchen Collanders on top of one ten inch Thinsulate batting square, safety pinned in center of a beige 13 inch square backing wrong sides together creating a one and one half inch border around the ten inch squares.
For hand sewing tips please go to our following YouTube playlist: Hand Sewing YouTube Playlist
See Sewing Hot Pad Project Assembly Simple Text Instructions Below:
*Pre-requisites: Ability to thread a needle and tie off thread, and perform simple running stitch for hand sewing; or ability to thread a sewing machine, use seam allowance guides for straight sewing, and perform simple running stitch on sewing machine.
Do not remove safety pins from project until instructed to do so.
- Thread needle with cotton thread (either hand sewing needle or sewing machine needle).
- Your project should be right side up, which you can tell by feeling for the safety pins on the ten inch cotton square. The squares are safety pinned on the right side. On each side of the ten inch cotton square and batting, the backing will stick out one and one half inches. Fold one side of the one and one half inch backing fabric in half toward the ten inch square so that the raw edge of the backing fabric meets up flush against the side of the ten inch cotton square and batting – smooth down to crease. Then fold over in half again so that the folded backing fabric comes over top of the edge of the ten inch cotton and batting squares – forming about a 3/4 inch folded border. Place two plastic clips (included with your kit), each about 3/4 in from each side to hold the folded border in place.
- Repeat step 2 to create another 3/4 inch folded border on the opposite side of the ten inch cotton square and batting.
- On one of the remaining sides, again fold the one and one half inch backing sides in half toward the ten inch square so that the raw edge of the backing fabric meets flush up against the side of the ten inch cotton square and batting – smooth down to crease. NEXT FOLD SMALL TRIANGLES AT ENDS OF FOLDED FABRIC by folding the top point of your folded edge down to align with the bottom edge of the folded fabric and finger press to hold in place. Repeat to create another small triangle on the opposite side. Then fold the strip in half again so that the folded backing fabric comes over top of the edge of the ten inch cotton and batting squares – forming about a 3/4 inch folded border with a diagonal corner fold over the other two folded sides. Press with fingers to firmly crease and use three plastic clips to clip the folded border in place on two corners and in middle.
- Repeat step 4 to create another 3/4 inch folded border with diagonal corner folds on opposite side.
- Complete stitching 4 sides of project. Use a small running stitch (preferably with a red colored thread to match border) to stitch the edge of the folded borders to the ten inch squares and backing. The folded borders will serve as your tactile stitching guide. Carefully perform small running stitches along the inside edge of the folded border around all four sides, removing plastic clips as you come to them.
- Complete stitching 4 diagonal corners of project. Use a small running stitch (preferably with a red colored thread to match border) to stitch the four diagonal corners of the folded borders to the ten inch squares and backing. The diagonal fold in fabric will serve as your tactile stitching guide. Carefully stitch along the edge of the folded diagonal corners on all four sides, removing plastic clips as you get to them.
- This completes your sewing hot pad project! Admire, use, or give away your beautiful creation as a gift! 😄
Audio / Video instructions coming soon. Feel free to call us with any questions at 978-419-1824